Vacations are great for relaxing and rejuvenating! All of us need break after a heavy and hectic schedule. However, it can be dangerous if you have been trying to live a fit and a healthy lifestyle, because of the weight gain, right? But travelling doesn’t have to mean the end of your hard training routine and healthy living goals.
I guess the major misconception people make about staying fit while traveling is that it’s considered as “cheat days” for eating and not exercising, because your typical diet and workout routine may not be possible. But that’s totally the other way around, as you’re just convincing yourself to “let go and enjoy”, when in reality it’s really easy to keep up with a healthy diet and stay active no matter what part of the world you choose for a vacation spot!
So let’s just incorporate some tips to fitness and healthy choices that’ll not just make your travelling mode more fun but keep you in shape.
1. Choose a hotel that has a GYM: The benefit of living in the 21st century is that each bigger hotel comes with a gym. It may not be a big state-of-art facility, but, hey, all you need is some machines and free weights.Do a research before booking the vacation stay and call up the hotel to ask them or even better - take a look at their property gallery to see what the gym looks like.
When you travel and need quick workouts on the go, my Get.Reinvented tranings will help you stay fit and motivated!
2. Start your day with a healthy breakfast: sounds like a motherly lecture...LOL...but it’s all you need to fuel up your energy for the rest of the day giving a quick charge up to your metabolism. One thing you can do is plan your eating spots ahead of time (if it is not all-inclusive) and see what healthy options are around and what places people recommend online. I’ve got a few savory spots to eat at, if you are planning to hit up New York or Boston. The amazing thing I can share with you is my Eat.Reinvented meal plan that gives you healthy take-out options from the cafe chains across USA!
3. Keep yourself hydrated: all of you are aware that drinking water does wonders for your body (think: our bodies consist mainly of water and water flushes out all toxins). It keeps you healthy, hydrated and helps you function and adjust to time difference/climate change which is very important when you are travelling. Avoid drinking soda and other options loaded on sugar instead invest in a quality self-filtered water bottle.
4. Try opting for stairs: stairs provide a great cardio workout and trains your legs (think: quads, calves and hamstrings). So whether its in hotels or a high-altitude spot climb the stairs instead of elevators. It can be a great calorie-burner exercise. How about planning a hike through the picturesque place and meet sunset over the horizon somewhere? Sounds great? Pack a pair of sneakers and set off!
5. All-inclusive: blessing or curse: CRAZY??...no it isn’t. When we think of a good quality vacation we want to RELAX. Obviously staying at a hotel with all-inclusive option is the best option for you when you are trying to rest. However, it comes with some compromises. Specifically: food 24/7, tasty calorie packed dishes and indulging desserts. So what should we do? Easy! I travel all-inclusive a lot and I have developed my system of tricks that works:
Go for the healthy options at all-inclusive hotels. When you are at the canteen, start your meal feast with healthy first and then see if you are still hungry. You see, a lot of times you go to eat hungry and overfill your plate with unnecessary menu items. Choose healthy over what looks good first and you will see how you will actually benefit from this!
Drink plenty of water and have a glass of water (ok, at least a half of a glass) before you hit up the food bar! It will take a bit of your hunger away, so that you can stay objective.
Try to book actual restaurants that are located on the hotel premises. There is usually quite a few. Why? Because the menu items are much more sophisticated and… smaller LOL
6. Have a knowledge of what you’re eating: what looks healthy and good may not always be...so try at least reading the menu item or the label in the food bar so that you know what exactly you are eating. By the way, my nutrition plan Eat.Reinvented comes with highlights for each recipe educating my #Reinventors as to the value of the macros they are consuming in each meal! Want to know too? Grab it here!
7. Involve yourself into physical activities: whenever you are on a trip try finding fun activities like climbing, sea diving. Ask the hotel ambassador for the activities guide so that you can do something fun and sporty: sport fishing, wind surfing, jet skiing, kayaking, horse riding, etc.! SWIM - you will love it!
8. Walk more while you are travelling: do you really think you need to book a cab just to go five blocks away. I don’t think so but your misconceptions of “cheat days” makes you so lazy that you deprive yourself of those joys, scents of roses, and surprises of the cultures etc. which you could have experienced while you’re traveling on foot. Think: hidden local stores, gem-like restaurants and artisan boutiques. Do not miss it! And guys, for those larger hotels with huge adjacent territories: walk to the beach! Do not take the shuttle! You can do this!
9. Don’t forget to travel with a wi-fi enabled device, so that you can Get.Reinvented with me and lose pounds and get RIPPED on the go!
I know it’s challenging to stay fit and on go when it comes to travelling. But if you choose to eat healthy and follow the tips it isn’t an impossible mission to accomplish. It is very possible to stay healthy and fit during your vacation. Though you need to put in some extra efforts to get the proper nutrition when you are away from home, but don’t forget you are doing it for yourself and eventually you will be rewarded for this at the end of your trip.
Thanks for reading!