Need a killer dish for your get-together that is healthy, tasty and QUICK to MAKE?
Okay, I will share with you one of my top favorite signature dishes I cook often! It steals so many compliments and my guests eat it till the very last bite. Many people have asked me for this recipe, so here it is!
Katia’s version of a Shepherd’s Pie:
2 lbs medium size white potatoes
1 cup of whole milk
1 tsp of butter
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large tomato
1 medium white onion
1 lb of crimini mushrooms
3 tbsp olive oil
Basil leaves flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated parmesan cheese to taste
Sour cream to taste (optional)
1. Dice up the onion in very fine pieces along with tomato. Stir ½ of the onion and tomato evenly with the ground beef, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, cover with a lid and simmer the mix in a large frying pan until the meat is fully cooked. Make sure you stir the mix well frequently and sprinkle it with salt, pepper and basil leaves flakes to taste.
2. Chop up crimini mushrooms, mix with the other ½ of the onion and also simmer the mixture in 1 tbsp of Olive oil in a frying pan until fully cooked. I usually do not add salt/pepper to this mix.
3. Peel the potatoes and cook in a pot until soft and ready to be mashed. In a separate small pot heat up 1 cup of milk and add 1 tsp of butter until fully melted. Do not boil! Mash up the potatoes and evenly stir in the milk and butter from the pot. Use the masher to mix this all up until smooth consistency. Very mild salt to this mix.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Now let’s layer it up! Get a large glass casserole or a clay pot and let’s start with a thin layer of mashed potatoes, then a layer of ground beef, then a layer of mushrooms, then a layer of potatoes again and repeat: beef, mushrooms and the last TOP layer of mashed potatoes again. Sprinkle it with ground pepper to taste.
6. Cover up the dish with either foil or a lid (if you have one) and off it goes into the oven!
7. Leave it there for a good 15 minutes. While it is cooking beat up 1 egg in a small dish until fully whisked.
8. Pull out the pot, open it up. Use a basting brush to evenly cover the top layer with egg glaze and sprinkle it with grated parmesan.
8. Cover it up and leave it in the oven for another 15 minutes
It is ready! Open it up, let it sit and cool off a bit. Serve it just as a cake by cutting it up with a knife and using a spatula to serve the slices. You can add sour cream to taste as a condiment if you like it! Enjoy!!!
Let me know if you end up making this dish and what your impression is! Share the recipe with your girlfriends!
Stay healthy and fit,