While some of us may not celebrate Thanksgiving, we cannot ignore this time of the year when the air gets crisp and fresh in the morning, when you see lots of turkeys in the meat section of a supermarket, when malls start getting crowded and decorated... That time of the year is upon us and we start looking for some new recipes to put on Thanksgiving table to impress friends. You can agree that just regular roasted turkey recipe gets old, even so it is a tradition for some. But what if I gave you healthy, yummy and calorie-smart options for tasty Thanksgiving dishes? This idea was a hit in my Get.Reinvented FB fitness group when i suggested it. Therefore, I am sharing it with the world, if you are not in my GR Club yet!
This year I decided to dig the online library and hand pick some healthy options that will definitely make an impression on your friends, not break your budget and not make you a kitchen slave overnight LOL While the web is overfilled with a variety of menu selections, catchy photos of styled meals and mouthwatering recipes, I am going to cover just a few to put together a nutrient-dense meal on your holiday table. So let’s indulge!
1. Queen of the menu and lean protein must have - TURKEY dish
The one I picked is herb roasted turkey with a variety of aromatics. Why? Because it is rather simple to cook, yet it will give you that juicy and tender turkey you want for Thanksgiving! It will not dry out and be dense. Check out this delish recipe here
2. I cannot imagine any table without a good green SALAD on it. Salads make everything just so much better and healthier! Check out this pomegranate chickpea salad from Occasionally Eggs. I modify and add goat cheese crumbs to this yumminess! This will make it non-vegan though.
3. Now moving onto GARNISHES and SIDE DISHES. We need healthy carbs that will make your menu nutritious and exciting. And what Thanksgiving menu will possibly omit green beans? None! And we are used to green beans casserole under a heavy cream sauce. Not this time! Not under my watch! You absolutely need to give this alternative recipe a TRY and cook it this year! To die for! Blistered Green Beans with Tomato-Almond Pesto - OMG!
4. I do not know about you, but I love orange colors of Thanksgiving holiday and fall in general and cannot imagine my colorful table without…. CARROTS! So enjoy this easy to make and tasty to eat Shaved carrots and charred dates recipe.
5. Alright, alright, people! I hear you, MORE meat…. Here you go! But how about an alternative to a whole roasted turkey? You cannot go wrong with this Tart Cherry Chestnut Stuffed Turkey Roulade. Now, this will put a big impressed smile on your guests’ faces!
6. One more VEGGIE RECIPE to add to your menu (for those who love yams with marshmallows, but want a healthier slightly less sweet option) - Squash with Dates and Thyme dish will not leave your friends indifferent, that’s for sure!
7. To finish off this feast of multi tastes we need DESSERT, right? But, again, I wanted to select something on a healthier side with no frosting like carrot cake for example. So I found this Apple and Almond cake recipe that made me want to COOK this!
So, what’s on your holiday MENU card for this year and what will YOU choose to cook from my healthy Thanksgiving guide?
Let me know in the comments!
Stay healthy and fit,