Travelling is always fun whether it’s going home for holidays or taking a much needed me-time vacation but what makes it daunting is PACKING. What makes it tough is packing everything tight and just right: clothes not to wrinkle, perfume bottles not to break, items not to fly in the suitcase when you are flying LOL Hey, and don’t forget that luggage tag in case it gets lost - you will need it!
I’ve put together these simple packing tips for you to make travelling less stressful:
1. AVOID LAST MINUTE PACKING HASSLE
2. GO WHEEL-LESS
3. AVOID ROLLING CLOTHES
4. PACK MULTI-FUNCTIONAL
5. USE GENDER FRIENDLY TOILETRIES
6. SHOP LIGHT ON THE GO
7. ALWAYS PACK AN EMPTY TOTE FOR LAUNDRY
8. GET A PRE-SCREEN TSA SECURITY CLEARANCE
What to pack and where to start? Is this the question that pops up in your head when you are planning a trip? Whether it’s your first trip or you’re a seasoned traveller, it’s always helpful to know what items to bring.
So just bookmark this travel packing guide and refer to it whenever you plan a trip.
1. MAIN LUGGAGE: whenever you are planning a trip make sure that you choose a luggage that’s versatile, light weighted and holds all your essentials. Here is a tip: buy a luggage set that can be easily stowed by placing smaller suitcases into a big one and thus save space in your hotel room!
2. ORGANIZE BEFORE PACKING: if you have planned a lot of activities for the trip, then definitely think of the gear that will be required. And organizing everything will be really challenging. But hold on, this is one thing to think about - if your trip contains multiple destinations and you know what clothes/gear you will be needing in destination A vs destination B, then pack accordingly! Also, it really helps to start writing a list of items to bring ahead of time and keep it handy when packing so that you do not miss anything. As you pack scratch items off the list. Better even share your packing list with your travelling partner in Wunderlist app and ask him to write the items he wants to bring along!
3. START YOUR PACKING WITH THE BASICS: pack smart and do not over-pack. Choose versatile clothing that can be used in different scenarios. Try to include clothes that can be worn on your daily adventures and then dressed up slightly with a different pair of shoes or a scarf. Do not forget a hat if you are heading in a sunny destination!
Another tip: even if you are heading to a hot vacation spot, floors in hotels may be dirty and/or cold (think marble floors) so pack a pair of slippers you can wear inside.
4. PACK YOUR TOILETRIES: always keep your toiletries and makeup in a see-through pouch. It will not only keep things confined in case of a leak, but you'll be able to see everything in one place, without digging up your suitcase. Pack gender friendly items: liked decide on a toothpaste that both of you can use, choose a sunblock lotion that both of you can utilize. It will save space!
5. PACK YOUR CARRY-ON BAG: The next thing to do is to fill your carry-on bag with anything you will be needing during the flight and at the airport. If you’ll be traveling around to multiple destinations, make sure this bag has items to keep you comfortable and cozy on any train, boat or bus rides. Pack a laptop or an ipad, travel pillow, eye mask, blanket, socks to wear on the plane, motion sickness pills, book or magazine, travel guide or map etc. But remember, you’ll be carrying all of this, so keep it light. If you are trying to map out a city guide, this would be a perfect opportunity to plan the route across the city!
6. TRAVEL HEALTH KIT: Put together a travel health kit - it is a must during a trip. It shall contain all the emergency medicines, some bandages, allergies remedy, etc. While I am on this note, please check this website to see any alerts on vaccines you need when travelling to your particular destination country. It gets updated regularly by government. Check your medications to ensure all of them are filled and do not expire soon. If needed, schedule a visit to your doctor to get a refill on a medication on time.
7. KEEP YOUR IMPORTANT TRAVEL DOCUMENTS, CASH, CREDIT CARDS: Collect all of your important documents in a travel document organizer. It should hold your passport, ID, credit cards, documents, a boarding pass, and a pen!) By keeping all important information together, you have everything handy within a hand’s reach.
8. PACK A LAUNDRY BAG: Laundry service at the hotel can get expensive. So it is ok if you have to do laundry when you return home. Pack a large plastic bag for your soiled laundry so that you can keep dirty items isolated from the rest of the luggage in the suitcase.
9. PUT YOUR WALLET ON A DIET: sounds funny..but it is practical. Go through your wallet and remove all of the membership cards, discount coupons you do not need on a trip. If you are going overseas, remove the heavy coins from the wallet - you will not use American change there anyway! If you have a smaller wallet, better take this one and just have one or two credit cards, driver’s license and some cash.
10. GOT SNACKS?: lastly, pack a few snacks to quench your hunger quickly just in case you don’t have something nearby. It could be a protein bar, nuts, cranberries, etc. Something light and easy that has carbs.
Wherever you are heading for a trip, just make sure you think through your list of activities beforehand so that you’re able to bring everything you need and choose the right luggage. I tend to plan the entire itinerary in advance and even do a quick search online for the reputable and authentic places to eat at. When you are at a new country and want to explore, you will not have time to search internet for a good place - you want to take photos and enjoy yourself. Packing light always helps with mobility.Travelling changes may come up instantly and you will be ready to adjust to them quickly with a lighter and smarter luggage.
So the next time you travel, try being light and savvy and you’ll be surprised how little you really need.
Was this helpful, guys? Share your stories of overpacking and share tips for light packing as well!