Sheduling fitness in your regular routine should be a MUST, as living an active lifestyle and being physically active will ensure your overall health and prolonged life! But do you find it difficult to get that workout in as you are busy making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or watching cartoon with your kid? Most often I hear parents complaining of kids being an excuse to their exercise routine. But why not to include the kiddos into your WORKOUT routine? Wouldn’t they love to be a part of something mommy is doing? Being a parent myself I feel kids can be a part of lot of exercises (think: center weight stabilization, increased weight resistance or simply chasing after them - hello!).
All you need to do is to pick the right approach keeping in mind their age and personality. Safety is the primary concern! I know it can be challenging but even though when you’re short on time, you still can get in a great workout. Let’s see how...
I usually suggest people to get in short, intense intervals mixed with cardio and strength...Yes I am talking about HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout LOL. So all if you are a mom and scramble for time, believe me when I say, HIIT training is a way to go! You get the benefit of a full body workout in a short time with the prolonged calorie burning effect. Who does not want that?
So, let’s get started:
1. SQUATS: stand hip distance apart and ensure you are keeping your toes, ankles and knees in 1 line pointing forward. Sit low and bring your booty and hips back as your knees ARE NOT passing your toes. Now let’s involve the baby! For small kids and infants, you can easily secure the baby in a baby carrier and perform squats with this extra weight on your chest (just ensure you are keeping your chest and maintaining spine in neutral position on your squat - do not bend down. Remember squat is performed through driving the power from your quads and hamstrings. Each time you come up, squeeze the buns! For older kids simply hold their hands in yours and perform squats together. And give it a small jump as you come up - trust me, kiddos love that extra excitement! Here is how we do it!
2. MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS: babies love lying on the floor and looking at your funny face and this gives you another reason to smile for a minute (or two LOL). So get on the floor in a push-up position and place the baby under your chest. Now, start bringing your knees to your chest one at time. Kind of like a slow run on a floor! Just mind the baby and do not kick him/her!
3. JUMPING JACKS: it’s a great exercise that builds your cardio base and elevates your heart rate. I am sure your kids will love to jump or dance with you...so why not make some giggles to a soundtrack you love? For advanced moms out there, perform weighted jumps instead - oh yeah! Watch us do it!
4. PUSH UPS: target your upper body and chest by doing this simple workout. Stand on your fours and place the child beneath your chest. Every kid loves being pampered with some lovely kisses and there you include your kid in the workout while you get down give them a kiss.
5. SHADOW BOXING: in this workout, you simply have to stand firm on your feet and punch the air performing corner crosses or straight jabs. Engage the abdominal muscles and rotate through your hips while you punch the air (stomp your feet as you perform punches, thus, protecting your knees). This is a great workout that engages your kid without involving them actively in your workout. Thinking how? Simple. Toddlers love to copy and mimic and they’ll definitely mirror you when you do this move.
6. BRIDGES: don’t you think it’ll be fun giving your kiddo a ride when they straddle your hips...Yes it’s very much possible with this workout. You simply gotta lie on your back with your arms across your chest and then you need to engage your core and lift your pelvis into the air while you squeeze your glutes.
7. PLANKS: ok, this one is for my advanced moms out there. If your core is strong enough, your shoulders are trained and you have no lower back issues - PLANK it for me, ladies, with your toddler on your back. Take it to a push up if you are up for it! *For babies 2 years old and up.
Beginners: simply stand in a downward dog position and send kisses to the little one! Older kids can stand in a downward dog with ya!
Advanced: forehand plank position with the baby (make sure the baby is old enough to hold on to you and maintain the balance!) sitting on your back. And I mean this is for advanced moms out there, as your lower back will be taking major stress on this onw, therefore, assess your fitness level properly! Now for an extra kick, keep one leg elevated and alternate.
8. STROLLER RUN: This one is the simply reminder for NO excuses. Have no time for a real workout, well, you have to take the child outside anyway to get in some air, so run… and push the stroller. Even better, put some heavier stuff in the stroller tray to increase the weight resistance. For those of you having older kids, how about running after your toddler as she rides a bike?? Can you catch up with Sonya?
9. STRETCHING: Okay, we start each morning from light stretching on the floor and I have to tell you IT FEELS SOOO GOOD! Simply sit on the floor and reach to the sky by taking a deep breath and exhaling to the floor as you reach for your toes. You can place the infant on the floor next to your toes and each time wave at the baby, as you are reaching for the toes. To watch Sonya’s version of pre-ballet stretching with mama she put together as the instructor, click here
10. WARMUP: When winter and cold weather is over, do yourself a favor, get outside and do some warmup with your toddler or have your infant sit in a stroller and watch. Kids love to absorb everything around them and copy what mama is doing. For our version of the warmup, watch it here
Pick just 3-4 of this activities every day and this will be enough to get you going on your fitness path. Meanwhile you should even feel proud of yourself once you are done with it as you are being a good role model for your kid. Engaging them in your workouts will teach them the importance and value of workout and active lifestyle from the very beginning. Nurture love for healthy lifestyle and fitness from early on!
I was a new mom 5 years ago and was struggling to find time for a workout. Surely, I ran, I went to the park several times per day, but…. I was missing that fun atmosphere that the gym gives you with the classes and the music… add the nutrition plan on top of that so that you do not have to search for calorie savvy recipes and top it off with a supportive community of moms across the globe who are going through the same challenge and want to lose that stubborn belly fat and pregnancy weight…. Ahhh! Doesn’t that sound like a dream? Nope! I made this dream into a reality called Get.Reinvented fitness program - your ultimate solution on the way to lose extra weight and stubborn pounds, to get your pre-pregnancy body back and to look hot again! Especially, knowing the troubles that a new mom faces with little to no time she has caring for that infant and trying to be a super woman at the same time, I put all my knowledge into Get.Reinvented program which allows you to work out on your time and on your terms! Get back into shape while the baby naps during the day! Guess what with moms from around the world and a very active online community support, you will simply NOT have a single excuse why you skipped a training. Imagine a program where you have the trainings at your fingertips and all that is needed just 2 dumbbells and a mat; where calorie savvy and nutrient dense menu is put together for you and this is the menu you can safely eat when still breastfeeding! WHAT? Yes! Reality! Welcome to my world, the world of Get.Reinvented - where I will transform your BODY and reinvent your LIFE. For good!
So no more excuses for skipping the workout! I know you might find it hard in the beginning, but as soon as you get into a habit of working out together, it will become one more reasons for bonding time and a fun-healthy one!